Arcade games tend to be very addictive, action-oriented, and fast-paced; these games require good coordination and fast decision making. Bright neon colors, abstract shapes, silly explosions, and overall exaggeration of objects are common details to expect in an arcade game. In many cases, to finish a level – the player has a fixed amount of time, lives, or both. Levels are usually short but gradually increase in difficulty. Games are most played in one play scene or playfield with plenty of intense action. Some noteworthy arcade game examples are: Overcooked 2, Minecraft, Plants vs Zombies, Super Bomberman R and plenty more down below!
Classical arcade games were played on individual consoles created for one or in some cases couple specific games. Classic arcade games had certain criteria to meet, they go as follows: single screenplay, a pre-set number of lives, no end level, high scores, easy-to-learn controls, simple gameplay, no narrative.
- Single screenplay – the whole game takes place on a single screen, with players maneuvering the character around it. The whole game-world is visible at any time. Many games included more than a single screen throughout the game, but at any given time the game-world would only consist of just that single screen.
- No end level – games didn't have a level cap. Interchangeable levels with infinite ramping up of difficulty.
- Pre-set number of lives – ability to continue from the point of death, or a checkpoint. Multiple lives granted novice players a chance to learn the mechanics before the game was over.
- High scores – scoring feature through which players would accumulate points for accomplishing certain objectives. Scoring boards, as a means to increase competitiveness.
- Easy-to-learn gameplay – due to simple controls and visuals, games are easy to learn but very difficult or at times impossible to master.
- No narrative – the narrative is simply not the aim of an arcade game, however, games had unique settings, many of them revolving around science fiction.
Nowadays, these arcade features can be found across many other game genres.