Side-Scroller Games | Discover the Best 2D Games!
- Clear all
You may also be interested in:
- Xbox Games
- PSN Games
- Hack Slash
- Music Games
- Educational Games
- Local Co-Op
- Split Screen
- Third Person
- Side Scroller
- Bird View
- Virtual Reality
For fans of old, classic gaming, side-scroller games are probably one of the most important genres. This genre was so popular, that it influenced tons of modern games and still is a big inspiration for indie developers even today. Many people find retro/pixel graphics especially nostalgic. Also, many people grew up with side-scroller titles, and many indie developers still create this type of game that is amazingly popular and breathtaking. With our guide, get a closer look at side-scrollers, then choose your next favorite, buy it at a cheaper price and immerse yourself in a pure nostalgia trip today!
What are side-scroller 2D games?
These games are 2D action or adventure titles. In them, you see your character and environment from a side view. You can move left or right, up or down, so when compared to 3D games, this control scheme is much simpler. Shooting, exploration, slashing, and other types of 2D games are extremely popular to this day, and new indie titles of such kind are still praised and discussed probably as much as bigger triple-A titles.
What are the best side-scrolling 2D games?
Take a look at the best 2D games for PC and other platforms, both old classics and new indie titles, then choose your favorite and immerse yourself in amazing adventures and experiences:
Best old-school side-scrollers:
- Contra. This is a cult-classic run-and-gun type of series that was first published in 1987 on arcades and Nintendo Entertainment System by Konami and is alive even today! These games feature a two-player co-op mode, where you have to traverse levels and shoot enemies;
- Castlevania series. Since 1986, the Castlevania series, made by Konami is still relevant to this day. Partially creating the Metroidvania genre, the series consists of high-quality titles, both old-school side-scrolling games, and modern 3D action iterations. Overall, Castlevania remains one of the most important, classic video game series;
- Mega Man. Another cult-classic series that entertains fans even today, but this time from Capcom. The very first Mega Man game was also created in 1987 on Nintendo Entertainment System. In Mega Man games you control a… Mega Man, and navigate him through 2D environments, where many enemies lurk.
Best new indie side-scrollers:
- Cuphead. Made by Studio MDHR, Cuphead is a retro-inspired run-and-gun type of game, meant to be played by two players who are controlling funny cartoon characters. This title is known for its stylized graphical presentation and high difficulty. Fans of retro aesthetics should pay attention to this title;
- Shovel Knight. Made by Yacht Club Games in 2014, Shovel Knight is probably the most popular modern indie side-scroller that is known for high difficulty and neat game design. In this game, you control a knight and the only weapon that you have is a shovel. This title is inspired by old-school games and is praised by many;
- Inside. Made by Playdead in 2016, Inside is an atmospheric game, which has a lot of scares. The title is known for its unique style and creepy-level design.
Don’t forget that there are tons of equally amazing side-scrolling games on the market. Both old-school and new games are waiting for you to be experienced at the best price when buying them on third-party resellers such as Eneba!
Are 2D games still popular?
Of course, this type of game is still popular among old-school fans and those who enjoy indie titles. Yes, this is a niche format today, and it is not as popular as 30 years ago. Still, 2D games receive a lot of attention to this day, and every year we witness new indie side-scrollers that are amazing and worth playing. Check out the best deals at the Eneba marketplace and choose your next favorite!